I liked Scott's new term for the Salem Chamber of Commerce's Create Jobs PAC: the Create Clones PAC.
The four candidates endorsed by the Chamber -- Sheronne Blasi, Steve McCoid, Daniel Benjamin, Jim Lewis -- all have the same tax-and-spend position on the unneeded $400 million bridge across the Willamette that has been proposed. The bridge would take hundreds of dollars a year out of taxpayer pockets for decades, yet won't help with rush hour congestion and will destroy dozens of homes and businesses.
Three of the four candidates have the same treasurer and consultant, Charles Swank, who also is the treasurer for the Create Jobs/Create Clones PAC. Read all about it in "Salem Chamber of Commerce tries to buy City Council seats."
Bassett pointed out that about a quarter of a million dollars aimed at influencing elections has been spent by the Chamber of Commerce during the past six years.
Do Salem citizens really want any more City Councillors who have been bought and paid for to do the bidding of a few members of the Chamber of Commerce who control election endorsements? I don't think so.
They want a real Watchdog at City Hall, Scott Bassett's campaign slogan. Lovers of both dogs and good government will thrill to this list of reasons to elect Bassett that were put together by a supporter:
TOP 10 REASONS TO ELECT SCOTT BASSETT TO THE SALEM CITY COUNCIL
10) If we elect Scott Bassett our City government will get a new leash on life.
9) If we elect Scott he will be dogged in his pursuit of wasteful City spending.
8) If the Council is tempted to close any more fire stations or reduce library hours further, Scott will give them paws for thought.
7) As a City Councilor Scott will be able to spot waste, and see howl we can save money.
6) If we elect Scott he will hound his fellow Councilors to be more open and transparent.
5) The next time our Mayor wants to spend $5,000 of scarce General Fund money to make a video Scott will boxer in, setter down and pointer to a better decision.
4) If developers want Scott's vote to build driveways on Kuebler Boulevard, he'll tell them, "You're barking up the wrong tree!"
3) If the City Council wants to add the Third Bridge to our Transportation System Plan, Scott will point out, "You have no facts to basset on!"
2) He'll say to the Council, "Don't let our existing bridges rotweill[y]er fantasizing about building a new bridge!"
1) Scott Bassett will make a pawsome Salem City Councilor.