Great job, Occupy Portland'ers.
For most of your urban park occupying and city street marchifying you've succeeded in raising awareness about the obscene imbalances between the wealthiest 1% and remaining 99% in this country.
But the time has come to pack up, dismantle the tents, have a final General Assembly, vow to keep fighting against Wall Street excesses in other ways, and fade away from the occupy tactics.
When proud progressives like my wife and I think, "Time to go," you know what? It's time to go.
Peacefully. With dignity. Proudly.
The Mayor of Portland, Sam Adams, has ordered the Occupy Portland camps cleared by 12:01 am on Sunday. That three day deadline seems entirely reasonable, given how many problems the camps are causing.
You had my support when the media focus was on social change. But now rats, bombs, drug use, drunkenness and such are all that's being reported on the nightly news. Not good.
My wife and I marched at an Occupy Salem rally three weeks ago. Now, we'd stay home. You're losing the people who are most sympathetic to your views. So consider how people on the fence are looking at you now.
Your cause is more important than any feeling of "we're entitled" you may have. Plus, you really aren't entitled to take over public parks indefinitely. They're for, you know, the general public.
Thanks for your passion and commitment. Please direct that energy into continuing efforts to bring back our middle class and economic fairness. And don't forget to vote!